April 26, 2005

FUCKING IMMIGRANTS 3

Covering the Abu Hamza story brought me into contact with a number of newsmen who I had instant respect for. One of these, Vivien White, anchored a blinding edition of Panorama last night on the issue of immigration. I bumped into him outside Belmarsh prison when Hamza was first arrested. With all the other newspeople making me feel really uncomfortable I had an excellent conversation with him (see HAMZA ARRESTED)

The "everyman" characteristic he exhibited to me shinned out on the program as he spoke to those in government, people on busses and the immigrants themselves. Seeing the reality of these people lives will hopefully soften a few hearts. Well done Panorama.

Outside Belmarsh, he told me that if I didn't have any luck with Channel 4 to go to the BBC. The idea seemed ludicrous at the time as I knew that Abdullah and co hated the BBC and believed them to be part of the "Zionist media conspiracy" more than anyone else.

No comments: