June 22, 2008

HAPPY SOLSTICE

Just about recovered enough to post this. Went to the Stones for solstice. I stopped going for a couple of years because I was finding it a bit leary, happy to report that I didn't see none of that. Leary English K heads may have been present, more predominant were some very bright east Europeans and Spanish having a great time. Nice to see them appreciating the UK from its epicentre. I didn't take any drugs. I've sort of had enough of them at the moment. I had stuff to work out through the night, I needed to know what I think about a few things. We arrived at about 2 AM and got into the stones maybe an hour before sunrise. It was drizzly the whole time but never properly raining or very wet. The Policing was the lowest key stuff I have ever seen there. At night there was even a little rave in the car park left untruncheoned. We got chucked out about 9AM. Really nice hassle free night. Stonehenge in whatever incarnation it is allowed to happen is still the most important summer festival in the UK.


car park


Very low key security watched by Brian in wizard hat on the left

Floodlit before sunrise


party time

communication


chucking out time



According to the BBC there were 28,ooo there which of course makes us wonder how many would turn up on a weekend if there was no rain. If you haven't see the BBCs bafta award winning Stonehenge doco its here

Pagans and partygoers celebrate the summer solstice at Stonehenge (Canadian Press)
BBC etc etc

1 comment:

La Sirena said...

Happy Solstice!

I was in the midst of some ancient trees with family and friends.