January 30, 2005

BICYCLE THIEVES

Jamal from Finsbury Park mosque has been round my new home twice now and I feel that things will hopefully get back on track in documentaryville, thanks to him only. Hajj and Abdullah are the two pillars of this documentary and Jamal is probably the only person at Finsbury Park mosque who can "translate" between them and myself. He understands the world that I live in and would definitely be able to communicate his views to the "generation X" malung audience. I still hope to persuade go on camera himself.

He went outside my house to pray twice because he wasn't allowed to pray in a room with pictures on the walls. One of the girls I live with was just arriving as he bent down in front of her bicycle. She thought he was trying to steal it and was about to accuse him until she saw him prostrate himself on the floor in front of it.

He told me of his conversion (or reversion as they call it) to Islam, how he used to put on raves in South london, and how he used to be a fan of Rage against the Machine. His wife used to be a rapper. If I could put him in the dark, or find some way of not showing his face it would be great to get his words into this doc somehow.

Jamal has also lent me a couple of CD's and a DVD relating to what the brothers believe. The CD's were made by a company called Halaqah Media.The DVD was made by the power hour radio show and details some 9/11 conspiracy theories. The first time I met Mr. Abdullah he was preaching Alex Jones theory that George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld and co sacrificed children to an Owl God in Bohemian grove.

I've worried about how to deal with this, as to me my documentary has always been about what I can find out for myself. My impressions of Abu Hamza and friends from the street and as such these theories are beyond my scope. I couldn't prove or disprove them. It all depends on budget I suppose. It'd be nice to interview the people who put them forward. I wonder what Alex Jones would make of Abu Hamza's friends quoting him.

No comments: