January 23, 2005

A CHANCE MEETING

When I say "malung" I'm not really in the strictest sense a "Malung" anymore because I'm trying my hardest to stop smoking dope. It's amazing how regular drug taking seeps into your whole personality, and how living without is like staring into an abyss. One of the main reasons I ended up at Finsbury park was because I was trying to give up drugs and needed something to involve myself with to fill the gap and distract me from the bong.

Cycling around exploring my new home in South london I spied a head shop. As I said, I've been trying to give up but I still parked up outside to have a look. In the doorway was a great big Turkish looking dude with a moustache and slicked back hair smoking a skunk spliff. The shop's owner came over to ask him to smoke it outside.

"Where do I know you from?" he asked me.

I couldn't judge if he was angry or pleased so I sort of umm-ed and ahh-ed a bit.

"You're a newspaperman innit?" he said.

"I'm a fim maker...have you passed through Finsbury park?" I answered.

It was then that I recognised him from way back when I first started filming in Finsbury park. He didn't have a moustache then but he was one of Mr. Hamza's "security" guys who pushed the camera's (including mine) away.

I hadn't seen him in ages but told him a bit about the problems I've been having and that I still hoped to get the film finnished one day. Nice guy. I'm going to drop a cd of my clips in for him next time I pass by.

1 comment:

I.:.S.:. said...

Jeez, you think you've got drug problems...

Big hug to you, my brother.