January 11, 2006

Remembering Squatsville

So its around a year now since I gave up squatting. Do I miss it? Strangely enough I do miss bits of it. If I had carried on in the circumstances I was in I would have gone stark staring mad but not having to be so involved in the lives of those around me has its downsides too. I miss the community. Never thought I would as its often so much about character clashes. I miss lots of random chicks jumping in my bed. I'm not overly forward with women sans exctasy, but in the last big squat I lived in I think I managed to sleep with over half of the girls there, though casual squat sex got a bit dissatifying in the end.

I miss the first couple of days being in a new building, the opportunity to make a new life on the random waves people in straight society pass by unaware of. I miss the odd opportunity where straight society acknowledges what you are doing as something enterprising and worthwhile. Even though it might sound like it I've certainly got no romance about squatting anymore.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Now i feel so ignorant or maybe i have the right idea but it is out of my thought range? So you squatted meaning you just lived in some old builgin with a bunch of other people? If this is it, it sounds so absolutely strange to me and just the thought gives me a feeling of insecurity! But hey, i'm just a housewife with a blog...So maybe you can write a post about what it was like, enlighten me.

DAVE BONES said...

yeah, london is like a bubble you can disapear into. There are so many empty houses due to the nature of capitalism that even the right wing press enjoy writing favourable articles championing the enterprise of squatting.

The Police are cool with it as long as you are peaceful. I've spent nights eating chips with a riot van full of them outside a squat party banging away.

They had just busted on in the next door building and left us there. I didn't ask them why.

I think they went of to try and stop someone killing their wife soon after..