June 13, 2005

DONT PANIC I'M ISLAMIC

What an excellent program on BBC2 last night. I'm sure a lot of people will be complaining of bias, it was almost Michael Moore in places. Whether it is mainstream Muslim thought or not I thought it accurately presented and illustrated what a lot of the Muslims I have been around are saying.

The "Osama bin London" character who said "No one believes Osama did Sept 11th"

I have spoke to and seen occasionally at Finsbury park. He hangs around Speakers corner in Hyde park if you want to speak to him. I knew he would make great TV.

I have heard him say most of what he said in the program in other contexts.

What I thought the program got across which I haven't seen on British TV before is how unmistakably British they all are, in character and humour.

Good TV well done BBC.

Interesting views on the film here and here

4 comments:

W. S. Cross said...

It has been said that Islam is the topic most-likely to be mis-represented on TV. Things are much easier if the "enemy" is cartoonish and in B & W.

BTW, I found my way here from ex-millennial girl.

DAVE BONES said...

welcome! she is great no?

if you get a chance to watch "the power of noghtmares" do, its great. I'm sure you can download it somewhere, as far as representations on TV, there are things going on in the background of this blog which I haven't been able to blog about for ages. expect it to come out in an unintelligible rush soon!

Anonymous said...

Re: the Power of Nightmares, so if there is no threat from islamic terrorism then I presume the claim that muslim terrorists are acting against western imperialism are false. If otoh muslim terrorists are acting in legitimate response to western aggression then the premise of the Power of Nightmares is false.

DAVE BONES said...

I don't know about false but definately dated.