October 18, 2005

INDIAAaahhhh...


I've been asked before why India?

I think I have always been interested in what polytheism would do to my head, having spent my whole life in a society based on monotheistic principles. I've just surfed my way through 3 monotheists blogs. Now I am outside of religion there only seems to be a hairs breadth between them as they relate to daily life.

Polytheism is diferent. At the Indian embassy in Islamabad the guy behind the counter was suspicious.

"You have been already six months in India. I think that is quite enough time...."

"Really?" I answered casually. "I think that even twenty years in India wouldn't be enough time to do the place justice."

Right answer to a proud Indian. Bang! Down came his stamp on my passport.

I crossed the border just outside Lahore, bribing the Pakistan side to let me smuggle some Indian ruppees I had back in. The Indian's were a bit more advanced and had an X-ray machine. I kissed the ground. I didn't have a good time in Pakistan overall. The kallash tribe liked me but everyone else hated me, not being a monotheist and all.

I chose the oldest knobbly kneed Sikh cycle rickshawist and asked if I could ride. I like riding cycle rickshaws in Amritsar. Being a honky everyone laughs and all the cars give me a wide berth. Back at the Golden Temple (pictured) I sat outside with a baba smoking roadside weed through a chillum as evening drew on. A drunk came up to us.

"What country?" he asked me.

"England." I answered.

"India is best country in the world." he said.

I agreed with him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I introduced my wonderful new girlfriend to Malung TV News today. She is half Indian and half Pakistani and works for the British Red Cross.

Her initial comments:

Dave Bones blog is genius. Would like to meet him one day, have a chat, share thoughts on his work, thank him for his kitchen utensils that sort of thing.

Keep up the good work mate :) - and thanks for letting us use your wok!

Indigobusiness said...

India probably is, but lately I've been wondering if there is any way to retire in Bhutan? Doubtful, I know, but those folks have it knocked.

DAVE BONES said...

They say "Everything possible" in India. Don't know about Bhutan. Thats the country who want to rate themselves by Gross national happiness rather than Gross National product innit?

Indigobusiness said...

Something like that, yes. They also have recently set aside an area as an official yeti sanctuary.

It is sort of a green version of Tibet. Bhutan is forested and lush with rhododendrons as big as trees. The people are striving to preserve their heritage and culture - outsiders are welcomed as visitors, but not as interlopers...if that's the right word?
Yahoo and Wiki have some good pics.

I admire travellers to those realms, I missed my chance and I regret it.