October 11, 2005

BANNED!

OK. Had a quick look at Cagedprisoners.com to find that our Home Secretary has banned 15 international Islamic groups. The Suporters of Sharreah, Abu Hamza's group, is not on the list. Regular readers will know that I've met Adnan who runs caged prisoners a couple of times. He's a reasonable fellow.

Also on Cagedprisoners Mozam Begg:

"They know what will be the cause of terrorism it's not going to be these preachers they are talking about I swear as Allah is my witness that these so called preachers of hate have little or nothing to do with the proliferation of terrorism in this country or elsewhere. It's the reality of ths situation that is taking place."

"I began my journeys because I saw oppression. Many people who know me from before know that I was involved in aid convoys to Bosnia and elsewhere and supporting aid organisations and so forth and yes I supported people who were defending themselves in places like Chechnya and elsewhere financially and otherwise if the law doesn't allow me to do so any more then I will do so in whatever way I possibly can because..."

At this point Moazzam was interrupted by prayers. Reporter Vivian White spoke to him afterwards and got him to finish the point he was making:
"I was going to say that if the law doesn't allow me then I'll speak out against the law. Simple as that. If the law doesn't allow me to offer my support to those oppressed people around the country then I'll then I'll try and challenge the law in whatever way that I can. And I think that platforms like this are completely appropriate and relevant to that very same challenge."

I met Vivian White outside Belmarsh when Hamza was arrested. He was really encouraging and told me to contact Panorama. Have done so a couple of times but haven't heard from them.

also Army Chaplain James Yee on the Abuse of Prisoners at Guantanamo:

Yee was posted in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in 2002, but less than a year after serving there, he was accused of espionage by the military and faced charges so severe, that he was threatened with the death penalty. The military leaked information about the case to the press and the media went on a feeding frenzy. Chaplain Yee was vilified on the airwaves as a traitor to his country and accused of being a mole inside of the Army. Then the military's case began to unravel. The charges were eventually reduced and eight months later, dropped altogether.

No comments: