July 10, 2006

In a hectoring address, Tanweer, who killed seven passengers, said that his actions had been provoked by British foreign policy and the persecution of Muslims. He said that terrorist attacks would continue British forces were withdrawn from Afghanistan and Iraq.

“What you have witnessed now is only the beginning of a string of attacks that will continue and become stronger until you pull your forces out of Afghanistan and Iraq and until you stop your financial and military support to America and Israel,” he said.


Tanweer, from Leeds, was on screen for only 30 seconds in a tape that had been carefully edited by al-Qaeda’s video production unit. He spoke in English but his words had been dubbed into Arabic.

The Times understands, however, that Tanweer, 22, whose remains are buried at a religious shrine in Pakistan, recorded at least 15 minutes of tape and that more footage may be released today Hassan Shweiki, editor of al-Jazeera in Qatar, said that the network received the tape only yesterday. “The package is much longer and we only showed a small portion. But we showed all of Tanweer’s words. We are hiding nothing.”

1 comment:

copy editor said...

Yet, the Intelligence and Security Committee has yet to ascertain Al Qaeda's operationa, strategic and tactical involvement.

Then a tape on the door.

Know thy enemy. Know thy self...