March 28, 2006

An Unusual Jew


As an Israeli Jew who sees how the Occupation has eroded the moral foundations of my society and, indeed, my entire people, and as a resident of Israel-Palestine who knows that my fate is intricately intertwined with that of the Palestinians, I pray that such an end will come sooner rather than later. As a member of civil society, I realize that the Palestinians have only one staunch ally: us, the people. Governments will not pursue peace and justice without our prodding. If the Palestinians remain steadfast and resist, it is our duty to actively support their fight for freedom and justice. Otherwise – to hell with us.

via Not the Country Club

I don't know what I think about the Palestine/Israel situation. I can see that if I was a Palestinian with land and a history on that land going back generations, I would probably resent people arriving from Russia and such places to take over that land with the backing of arms and money from US tax payers. If that situation went on and all attempts at solutions went against me, that would radicalize me. Especially if I was kept inside refugee camps with no hope of a future. But what to do?

As a gesture, bombing buses works against Palestinians in western minds, no doubt about it. But I can see that it probably works for "the cause" in the minds of Muslims in the Middle East who are themselves under the heel of oppressive forces they don't like. A central issue for this "West vs Islam" to spin round and round and round...

When I meet Israeli people I empathise with their european-ness. Their culture is similar to mine. I would not think to argue whether "the homeland" is theirs, or which part of it is. I don't know. I'm trying to think of estabished patterns of behaviour throughout history relating to "terrorism" "freedom-fighting" and armed insurgencies which can be looked at empirically across the board, whether it is ETA, the IRA, the PLO, Hagana,the AWB or whatever.

One thing. All this fighting over homeland I can't relate to. I think I am a vagrant.

No comments: