September 26, 2007

FIRST EXTRADITION IN HAMZA CASE...

...With his hands cuffed in front of him, he responded, "I don't care to see it because I am innocent. I don't care about it. I didn't do anything. I have done nothing."

He said he was traveling to visit his mother when he was "kidnapped" and brought to America.

"They want to force charges of terrorism against me," he continued. "I have nothing to do with al-Qaida. I have no relationship with al-Qaida. This is all unjust and unfair."

Prosecutors say Kassir and others wanted to set up the camp in Bly, Ore., to teach military-style methods so a community of Muslims could move to Afghanistan to fight or receive further training there. The camp was never realized...

...An indictment says Kassir told witnesses that he supported Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida and that he had personally undertaken jihad training in Afghanistan, Kashmir and Lebanon.


In November 1999, prosecutors said, Kassir and Haroon Rashid Aswat were sent by Muslim cleric Abu Hamza al-Masri to establish the training camp. After two months they left the U.S., with Kassir complaining that there were too few men and he was not going to waste his time.

Authorities in Oregon have said the camp never materialized beyond a dozen people taking target practice and was abandoned for unknown reasons. Bly is an unincorporated town of a few hundred residents, 230 miles southeast of Portland...


also:
DOJ Announces Extradition of Accused Terrorist from Czech Republic

No comments: