August 19, 2005

MO



The last British MP to actually look for peaceful solutions with terrorist's has died. So that's it then.

I wrote suggesting her involvement in our current terrorist crisis two years ago here. (last paragraph)

PETER HAINE:

She was the catalyst that allowed politics to move forward which led to the signing of the Good Friday Agreement in April 1998.

She cut through conventions and made difficult decisions that gave momentum to political progress.

I remember, particularly, her courageous decision to meet with loyalist prisoners in the Maze in January 1998 who had threatened to walk away from the peace process - it was personal interventions such as this that made the difference and kept politics moving in what was a very difficult environment.

I spoke to her only three weeks ago after the IRA statement and she told me how significant it was.

I firmly believe that Northern Ireland is a better place for Mo Mowlam having been there.


No comments: