November 26, 2006

FISHBONE LIVE

My girlfriend brought out an old Fishbone CD called Give a Monkey a Brain... a little while back and was jealous that I had seen them on the tour of this album maybe fourteen years ago. I had a mini premonition that they would be playing live soon and sure enough, I spied an ad in Timeout, so we got some tickets and headed to the Islington Academy for the last date of their European tour.

We missed the support act and arrived as they took the stage. Fourteen years ago I saw them in the Kentishtown Forum which held maybe three thousand people. Here in front of 800 they were still fantastic and looked pretty much the same. Musically they have branched out into a bit of ragga and the singer now uses a theromin. Between songs they relaxed and wandered over to talk to each other, when they got going they were tight as fuck, having played almost every night for the last month from Spain to Bratislava. They played a few old classics and a lot of new stuff which was fantastic.

If ever you see Fishbone are playing near you, go see 'em you wont be dissapointed. I think the video below is from the late 80s. They played with the same warm heartedness and energy the other day.


3 comments:

Twit said...

I was totally in love with the 'Truth & Soul' album back in .. 1990(?)
I got this (Give A Monkey..) album too but have long since sold them both (probably for smoke-money:)

Never got to see them though; I didn't know they were still going - so maybe now I will.
Definitely gonna start buying those albums back now anyway, now that I'm a bit more financially-stable.

Thanx for the reminder.
FISHBONE are fucking awesome!

DAVE BONES said...

First time I saw them was at Glastonbury festival. The singer cartwheeled and walked on peoples hands all the way to the sound tower during the first number. I think this was the fourth time I seen them. I would go again.

DAVE BONES said...

J Andrew! Nice one. long time. I don't think they did, they started with Unyielding Conditioning. I think they did a few old numbers. 1985? I didn't realise they were that old.