June 27, 2007

I JUST CAN'T HATE TONY

Much as I have tried to get on the "Bliar" tip, it just don't work with me and I must admit I'm going to miss him though it'd be nice if he had said something about these rendition flights before he did a runner eh?

Ten years.

I remember ten years ago, one of my only clear memories. I was squatting with some junkies in Dalston. I watched Tony's “A new day has dawned has it not”. I saw Billy Bragg at the Respect festival in Hyde park saying “I can retire now!”

I remember a huge fever gripped me for a week which ended in a night of sweating, tossing and turning, scrapping the sweat off myself with my bed sheet. I remember how the bed sheet stank in the morning with an inhuman satanic smell and how I thought it was 18 years of Tory rule coming out through my skin. I celebrated my recovery with a toot of scag which, with nothing in my stomach was the only time I actually got a good effect from the stuff.

I remember bounding down the road and accosting a couple of passing Policemen.

“Do you think things are going to change now?” I asked them.

A bit taken aback one of them scratched his chin.”I don't know. How do you mean?”

“I mean between YOU LOT and US.”

Not knowing what to say they sort of On your way laddie'd me a bit. I was optimistic for a long while, thinking that Blair was speaking with a voice that outclassed any Politician.

I remember the horror as pretty early on I realised he was going to drag us into Iraq. I remember the concrete blocks going up round parliament and thinking someone somewhere thinks we are less safe because of all this.

I remember how it motivated me to start filming what was happening here, and also clearly led me on a mission to befriend grass roots US Republicans. I think Tony has hugely let us down, but that is a human result of this "vote for me" game which is beyond any human capabilities.
The Rise and Fall of Tony Blair seemed to show the good points as well as the frightening elements of Blairs "Vision thing". It caught his horrifying journey from Muslim hero in Kosovo to Islamic hate figure today. Rory Bremners My Part in His Downfall was also fantastic. Try to see both if you have a chance. Talking about chances I've got to wish Tony well in Palestine. Ireland is far from sorted, but people aren't bombing each other. I reckon Tony wants this for Palestine and for himself. The right combination of universal interest and self interest, when people realise what is really in their interest is going to sort it out for all of us and we've all got everything to play for.

Last words on Blair today from Rachel from North London

3 comments:

Deek Deekster said...

i found his parliamentary leaving do surprisingly moving.

DAVE BONES said...

I think he was wrong about Iraq and maybe too much seduced by the power of gung ho Republicans but I don't think there is anything sinister about it. If the UN, the US and everyone else needs a useful bridge into Palestine its got to be him really, thats if no suicide bombers get to him in the process.

Hertz Hertz said...

Gorgeous, he is. I'm gonna miss him too.