June 04, 2008

Bloody hell- Its Obama!

In a symbolic move, Obama spoke in the same hall where McCain will accept the Republican nomination at his party's convention in September. Campaign officials, citing the local fire marshal, put the crowd at 17,000 inside the eXcel Energy Center, plus another 15,000 outside.

McCain addressed a smaller crowd by design, an estimated 600 in his audience and another 600 outside.

One campaign began as another was ending.


Well that was a surprise. I've been watching this from afar with my pals in Sparkleland. She is not usually wrong about these things, I'm glad she was this time. Not that I'm expecting Obama to do anything. If he is the lesser of evils, I suppose that is OK. Obviously I hope for a "surge". A reaction around the world to a black president which might push him into doing something. I hope for him to speak in a language which will out date the mindset of my republican friends. Will he? We'll see. Anyway the Pakistanis are happy:

A former senior Pakistani diplomat, who was briefly ambassador to the United States, Tariq Fatemi, said that Mr. Obama’s “idealism” struck a chord with Pakistanis.

“Barack Obama would do very well in improving the image of the United States. He would position the United States more as a force for moral values rather than for brute force,” he said.

4 comments:

La Sirena said...

He's already my Senator.

Even if nothing else comes of it, his campaign has really engaged a lot of younger apathetic people -- especialy the poorer kids.

It's fun to see them get involved in the political process, knocking on doors, urging people to vote and consequently getting involved in other parts of the process as well.

Of course, my Republican friends don't necessarily agree with me, either.

Jock Coats said...

Bit disappointing that he makes the key policy announcement of his victory speech what sounded like unqualified support for Israel in the snippet I heard, but then I guess you have to keep the Dems' Jewish vote happy.

DAVE BONES said...

Yeah its all politics. He showed a glimmer in one speech. Its great to hear he has motivated the youth on the ground, would enough of them register to vote? I'd like to see a candidate who actually motivated me to register over here, Brian Paddick almost did.

La Sirena said...

True, it's all politics...

Personally, I think whoever gets the job next will have such a mess on their hands, it will be hard for them to accomplish much beyond the political equivalent of triage.

Yes, those kids were actually voting and encouraging others to vote, as well.

Just now read about Paddick. Sounds like a talented guy.