October 04, 2005

THE AFGHAN BORDER

I decided to see if I could walk up the the Afghan border anyway. It was aparently quite close but I had no idea how close. I couldn't sleep the previous night. Garum Cheshma's (extreme left of map) local nutter (alchoholic?) was banging on my door. I didn't open it. I had arrived the previous day on a jeep travelling through some Cecil B DeMille scale cliffscapes.

The town was typical North West frontier province. Beautiful landscape with not a woman to be seen. I was severely questioning the health of a society where the fairer sex are completely removed from view, and had totally forgotten why I was in Pakistan. I missed the easy, India hippie-hypocrisy to which I had almost grown familiar.

I had just finnished a breakfast of boiled goat with rice with an audience of schoolboys staring at me. I was breaking my vegetarian vow for the first time since I had done Vipassna in Jaipur 3 months earlier. I walked maybe 10 minutes up "the road to Afghanistan" before I encountered a farm, where two young girls stood staring at me over a gate laughing at me.

I carefully ignored them, looking round for their dad who I expected to be running at me with an AK-47. He turned up, obviously a bit startled seeing a facially-pierced hippie with bones sticking out of his ears on his way to Afghanistan, but not disturbed at all about the vicinity of his un-burkahed daughters. I was to encounter female Muslims only with the farming folk of the North west frontier province, outside the towns.

"Afghanistan?" I asked him, pointing. He nodded.

"Far?" I asked, spreading my arms.

He almost gave me the Indian head wobble.

"Don't fucking start that." I said to him. "I'm not in India now."

he laughed, having not understood a word.

I carried on walking with less certainty through heart achingly beautiful landscape. What the hell was I doing? What did I want to do? I vaguely thought that I would walk up to the border, shake hands with the "border guards" and then walk back down. I had no intention of actually crossing as I heard that the Taliban incarcerated beardless ones until their beard was a fist length.

What if I missed the border crossing totally and found myself in Afghanistan with no visa? What if there was no marked border and these "border guards" were part of my imagination? What the hell was I doing in Pakistan?

Suddenly through my drug hazzed memories of the last six months in India I remembered. Before I had left the UK, while I was still agonising about where to go I had read in the Pakistan Lonely plonker about a tribe called the Kallash. I had decided to try and get to them, using Pakistan to renew my India visa, as I knew in the UK that the Nepali set up was no longer fail safe. I had forgotten all of this in six months of drug taking frenzy but heading up onto the Hindu Kush it came back to me in the nick of time.

I knew these guys were around here somewhere. I turned round and headed back to Garam Cheshma. There I borded the next jeep back to Chitral, everyone staring at me. When in this situation in India I would find the local groccer and swap my bones for chillies to make people laugh. I did this. No one laughed. They looked even more disturbed by my ear-wizardry. I was so lonely passing back through the golden rocks. In Chitral I walked through the centre of town up to the mini-bus terminus I had arrived at two days before.

"Infidel! Herretic!" I heard in shouts and whispers as I passed. The day before I had only heard whispers. I wanted to get out before it turned into action.

"The Kallash tribe, are they far?" I asked the guys with the jeeps.

"No. In the next valley. maybe 4 or 5 hours? You can hire a jeep, 400 ruppes..."

I had grown used to this in India and knew the next question to ask.

"Is there local bus or jeep?"

"Yes. It is 25 rupees. We leave when there are enough passengers." the guy answered.

It took about another 3 hours until enough passengers had gathered and we left. I sat next to a smarmy buisnessman in shalwar-kamieeze and sunglasses. He had a greasy forehead and looked like he had money.

About 30 minutes into the journey he revealed his intentions on visiting the Kalash.

"I go to find young girls for sex."

"Oh yes...?" I answered, encouraging him with more rope.

For more than an hour he spoke of his business trips through every major Islamic country in the middle east, how much he had to pay for sex in each and how young the girls were. I nodded occasionally. I hoped the Kallash had not lowered themselves to this. He seemed uncertain.

We crossed the river and after a really hairy jeep ride half way up a river valley we eventually alighted. I was a bit disturbed as I didn't see anyone who looked Kallash. All the other passengers were Muslim and were content to stay at the Muslim guesthouse we had come to. I wandered off a bit.

The sleaze merchant followed.

"I come with you!" he said.

"No!" I shouted, bringing my hand down to emphasise the parting of our friendship, my face going red. "I go alone. Do NOT follow."

I did not want to have my first encounter with the Kallash standing next to this filth.

All the way up the valley I saw Muslim guest houses with Muslim patrons. Where were the Kallash? I thought this was their valley. I asked someone who pointed up the hillside. I walked up the hillside until I found houses which looked markedly different right at the top, where village ended and mountain began.

A woman came round the corner in a long black dress with a bright cowrie shell head-dress. She was smiling.

"You are Kallash?" I asked.

"Yes. You stay with us?" she asked.

"Yes please!!!" I wailed.

5 comments:

I.:.S.:. said...

One of those karmic chains of events... It all happened so he'd meet me, thus eventually to be inspired to take up blogging, thus to make your most excellent online acquaintance.

Why was I in India and Pakistan? I had less choice in the matter than Dave did. I think I've dropped allusions here and there on realgem but you'll have to read it all to find them, and thereby find the answer to your question.

I.:.S.:. said...

"Went to India because of, let me guess, good drugs?"

I can get good drugs in London, it's not a problem.

I went to India because my humanitarian parents decided to bring me up in that part of the world (Pakistan) and at the age of 18, I was in cultural identity crisis. I didn't feel I belonged in Europe, and I was doomed to be a foreigner in South Asia forever as well.

I liked it there. I spent a good third of my life in south Asia. I liked the adventure. I travelled without money, begging, selling drugs and teaching English along the way.

But eventually it came time to re-discover my own roots. I came to London, a foreigner in a country where I spoke the language, and found out how much opportunity there is here for me, even though I was designed for warmer climates and warmer people.

I'm really glad you liked realgem, and thank you for the complement re. my writing. It's little things like this that keep me going.

DAVE BONES said...

Yeah, I took acid for the first time at the Glastonbury festival in 1998 (I think) and was heading for India ever since.

Lost the plot a bit in London, I inherited some money in 1999 and thought Its now or never.

Pakistan because i was aware that there was a well worn hippy trail in India and I wanted to get off it.

I read about the Kallash in the guide book abd was fascinated by an animist, full on fertility culture surrounded by the most orthadox fundamental islam on the planet.

I would think very carefuly before going to a muslim country again, though I had no problem with the Finsbury park guys in that respect at all.

I disagree with some of them but don't dislike them.

DAVE BONES said...

sorry that was glastonbury 1988

DAVE BONES said...

Yes. Cannabis and inspiration. All of my backdrops were painted on cannabis. I wouldn't even try mimicking my own style without. I could tell the difference straight away. It unlocks creativity but is a two edged sword which unlocks introspection, paranoia and depression as well. Addictive too.