October 14, 2005

Kallash Chicks

Further to my blogging about the Kalash tribe (haven't seen anything regarding their welfare re earthquake on the news yet- anyone?)

Within the first two days of my arrival a local tribal girl aged between 15-17 presented herself where I was eating obviously with me on her mind. She had painted red "glasses" around her eyes and red spots around her face and smelled a lot of some sort of flower. She had the usual spots and spirals tattooed on her face as well.

"A beautiful Kallashi girl." said my host.

I was polite but didn't give her any reason to be even more forward.

During my stay another Kallashi girl took immense pleasure in winding me up, locking me in my room until I almost kicked the door down in rage, that sort of thing- all the time. I didn't realise that it was because she liked me until once, when some Karachi "visitors" came past her and her friend drew closer to me to ward off their attention. It was obvious what trouble they faced as they went about their buisness from these tourists and I was glad to be there. I must qualify the divide I saw between Kallash and muslim's by saying that the Kallash did have friends amongst local Muslims, most of whom were mountain people who also hated the tourists from the big cities.

Kallashi girls are as forward about their sexual intent as some Swede's I have met, and all this surrounded by one of the strictest forms of Islam on the planet. If I had come across one I was attracted to I would still be there.

3 comments:

boudica of suburbia said...

Where are the tribes full of nubile forward men?

And no, The Istanbul Grill on a Saturday night doesn't count.

xxB

bold as love said...

Bones,
Having traveled a bit myself, and experienced young women behaving like you wrote, here's a question-what's the conseqences of partaking in said charms. I know in some parts of central america you can do the deed, but the family better not find out. There is such a thing called a machete wedding.
later'

DAVE BONES said...

I was going to say the Istanbul Grill!

The family were in the next hut. I don't think the advance was anything less than courtship or proposal. They seem very natural about such stuff. I should imagine the family were aware of what was happening.If I was attracted (if the girl was older maybe) it didn't seem such a bad life. A very hard life.