April 18, 2008

MALUNG TV NEWS

I was watching TV at a friends place last night. I was about to switch it off and switched it over totally by accident to see Rachel and Glen on Newsnight. Abu Izadeen was a favourite radical voice for them over a long time. The show was presented by my favourite brown eyed ex- BBC London presenter who is looking even more sexy as she gets older. She had a right go at Anjum Choudarry who got in his Blair Bush Corporation one liner and is the only one who mysteriously still manages to stay out of the nick somehow.

I'm not sure that I agree with the whole concept of "radicalization" how it is presented here. If the idea that we are totally right and they are totally wrong was true, that "they" have been "brainwashed" by an "evil ideology" we wouldn't be at risk. Continually. I am not sure how I can join in the debate really as it seems so obvious to me but when I tell anyone else they glaze over.

I don't think I met a single person in Finsbury park who appeared to be brainwashed in all the years I used to pop up there. I think the concept of "brainwashing" as it is presented is a serious red herring which will only lead to less understanding and more danger. I wish everyone would get over this whole brainwashing fantasy. No one is brainwashed. Except perhaps the guy at 4.00 they name "Osama" on Newsnight's Al Mujaharoun video he is brainwashed. People should stop with this "swinging pocket watches" fantasy. Now. People believe things. I think certain Koranic verses we all know by now have become alive to a worrying number of Muslims who are reacting to events in the world as they see them. Its not rocket science, I mean they are making the fucking videos. They are telling us really clearly.

Is that a controversial view? I don't know. I'm just selfish. I don't want to be bombed.

via Paula

Ketamine breakthrough in treating depression

the class C drug, which is abused for its hallucinogenic effects, is now being hailed by scientists as a breakthrough treatment for severe depressives.

New research has found that patients who have failed to respond to more conventional drugs can be cured of depression within as little as two hours with an injection of ketamine...

...Ketamine is one of several banned drugs that have been found to have therapeutic benefits. Ecstasy has proved effective for traumatised servicemen who have fought in Iraq, and trials are also taking place involving rape victims who are given the drug to help them to recount their ordeals without triggering anxiety. Scientists have used LSD to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety.

However, mental health charities have reacted with caution to the results of the ketamine trials. The charity Sane points out that many people with mental health problems already self-medicate using illegal drugs, and that not enough is known about their long-term side effects.


People self medicate? No shit. I'd say there was some truth in this. K took away my depression and transported me to a world of euphoria- for at least two hours..

Also LSD testing begins in Switzerland:

Dr. Gasser's study received final approval from the study's Ethics Committee (the Swiss IRB equivalent) on July 12, 2007. The protocol is for a preliminary 12 patient, double-blind design to gather basic information on safety and efficacy for this patient population and to develop a treatment approach. Though there has been substantial prior research with LSD in cancer patients that demonstrated safety and some degree of efficacy, that research was conducted over 35 years ago. For this study to follow modern drug development standards, we must start from scratch and build carefully.

Carefully does it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LSD used for treating cancer? Me thinks someone was tripping while performing their research!

Anonymous said...

Sure it isn't a mistake and the Doctors name isn't Leary? Although Dr. Gasser is funny, fortunately his last name wasn't Flatulence.

Twit said...

'Brainwashing' is a concept/term that is often used too readily.

& that's old news.
& I can't be bothered..
& I haven't had a drinky for 3 weeks 'til now so fuck it.

Wash me away.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Anyroad: You didn't know I was English!?

Should I assume that you assumed I was American?

That's okay, I sup..
I love those crazy fuckers.

I've been seen as female (in blogland) a few times in the past..
... & now this!

Ha!

Some bloggers work quite hard to create those kind of false impressions.

¦:¬|_

DAVE BONES said...

I think they are using LSD to help people deal with their impending death, not to actually cure cancer!

Yeah "brainwashing" might comfortably "dehumanize" an "enemy" but I just think people believe things. Outside this system what do we look like staring at TV screens for hours? Brainwashed.

Why is extremist philosophy coming alive to young Muslims? It seems obvious to me.

Hertz Hertz said...

I think Twit is a jewish russian tranny, and he walks around wearing one of those huge furry hats and no knickers.

I also think he should take acid AND Ketamine this weekend, and maybe he'll change his profile picture. who knows.

Twit said...

Attagirl!
There she is!

You're getting warm, Paula..
In more ways than one¦:¬]

I'm sorry you don't like my profile pic though.
I think it rather suits me.