May 29, 2008

Spirit of Radio

Well that went great. Nothing like a squatted pub a few bands and a few friends of bands to make a great atmosphere. We've been meaning to play Dan's radio show for a long while now but before he was a bit- err.. pushed for space to fit a whole band in his house! In the pub with everyone piling in with equipment we had a hectic evening miking everything up. We were making a snare drum stand out of bits of metal and gaffer tape 5 minutes before going on air! How rock and roll is that?

The Tipsy Gypsies played first, great folk music with a really psychedelic fiddle player. Following them were The English Martyrs who were rocking as usual. Really stripped down dub and ragga. We followed them. It took a little while to sort out my loops and volume levels but no one cared. Once we got going we got invaded by random strangers shouting over our stuff and Vesta from the English martyrs joined us turning our sound to extreme drum and bass which sounded almost Dancehall in places. I'd like to pursue this as I'd give my eye teeth to play in Jamaica.

It was great to look out into our audience and see so visibly that everyone was sharing an atmosphere. I had a really frustrating day and the whole thing was such a release. Everyone I have seen this morning who was there was smiling. Jamming went on long after we left. Good news is that we are going to do it all again next Wednesday with some different bands. I'll put up some clips from our performance when I get them in.

The Impossible

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Job!: )