March 28, 2006

No Right to Fair Trial

War is war, and it has never been the case that when you captured a combatant you have to give them a jury trial in your civil courts,” he says on a tape of the talk reviewed by NEWSWEEK. “Give me a break.” Challenged by one audience member about whether the Gitmo detainees don’t have protections under the Geneva or human-rights conventions, Scalia shot back: “If he was captured by my army on a battlefield, that is where he belongs. I had a son on that battlefield and they were shooting at my son and I’m not about to give this man who was captured in a war a full jury trial. I mean it’s crazy.” Scalia was apparently referring to his son Matthew, who served with the U.S. Army in Iraq.

4 comments:

BigDog said...

He is right.

DAVE BONES said...

didn't look like that if the film is true. The Tipton 3 look like they were bombed whilst running round in circles in the dark, randomly herded and handed over to the US marines for money.

The Scrutinator said...

"The film" being Road to Guantanamo? What if it isn't true? What can one independently verify? (I mean besides this, which I'm guessing the movie left out.)

DAVE BONES said...

The thing is, you get a chance to look at the faces of the Tipton 3 as they tell their story. Its a judgement call we would probably be either side of, but I would vey much like you to see the film to find out. I wish I videoed it for you but you guys are ntsc anyway. Maybe there is a bit torrent somewhere. I'd like every republican to watch it.

To answer your emotive point, no I don't agree with shooting women in the head for adultery, nor would I hold random jihadis who fought against the Northern Alliance, were rounded up by the Northern Alliance and handed to the marines for cash in Guantanamo without trial for all this time with no end in sight.

What is the purpose? Whatever the purpose is I think a result opposite to that purpose is very likely.

Shooting in the head and chained to the floor in excrement listening to shite heavy metal- I'm against both.

What purpose can you possibly think the second one achieves?