February 27, 2006

ALL-COLOUR ROUND UP

OK guys, here's another round up of some of my favourite bloggers-

Maybe intellectual snobbery is more apparent in the US school system. That great font of American wisdom National Lampoon's Animal House tells us that people group up for safety into defined categories. Of course that happens here as well though I don't think they have "frat houses" in most comprehensives. At school I was probably quite nerdy and uncool. At Art college I stuck my hair out in porcupine spikes (pre sideshow Bob) and was immediately jumped on by the most beautiful girls in the college and the pub I worked in which made me think women were a bit fickle and didn't really adjust my low self opinion. I just thought they were fooling themselves and I was the brief beneficiary. These days nice girls jump on me often enough to avoid seriously considering suicide and I am grateful. I also occasionally buy MDMA when I am out which smashes through the fear. I'm not really boyfriend material.

Anyway, back to intellectual snobbery Stef has a great post on this subject, which reminded me of a post somewhere in my archive

With Peter, we walked into Moomba, right up to the VIP section. The velvet rope was no boundary for us...

Back then, (and to some degree, now) I viewed intelligent-culture folk (a certain breed, not simply anyone who's well educated) as an annoyance...They chose people like me as their enemy long ago and now they love to flaunt how heavily armed they are against my kind...

The aspect I most liked about hanging out with famous people was that because they were rich or famous, they never wasted their time with the same old talk; "What do you do for a living?" and such. That’s what kept me coming back for more, not because I was a starfucker. When the uber-smarties were involved, I felt they dragged the conversation back down to plebian levels with their bullshit prescribed, approved of topics and big words...

After we sat for a minute, three well-dressed, flat chested older women recognized Peter and sat down on chairs across from us...

The women accosted Peter, asking him wonderfully brilliant questions about his photography. I was so high, I could barely prop myself up with my elbow.

As an answer to their questions, Peter looked at me and said, "Have you met Stefanie? She’s from Florida! Where did you grow up again, darling?"

"Sarasota," I lied. My real hometown was so redneck and little-known, I’d taken to calling Sarasota my hometown. Also, I knew a lot about Sarasota.

"Sarasota?" the woman asked patronizingly. She didn’t appreciate this diversion, but she wanted to keep Peter’s attention. "And what do you think is most important about Sarasota?" she asked me.

I thought to myself, don’t disappoint Peter. So I replied, "The Spanish tiled roofs."

"Spanish tiled roofs?" She was confused.

"Yes! They’re functional yet beautiful, and everybody in Sarasota has one!"

"I think that’s marvelous." Peter exclaimed.

"Oh, I do too!" she agreed. Then, her expression changed. "But just what about Spanish tiled roofs…?"

"It’s about cultural aesthetics," I bullshitted, putting on my own authoritative, I’m-smarter-than-you voice.

She shook her head dismissively, saying "I think there must be something else that matters about Sarasota."

"How could there be?!" I scoffed, raising my voice and getting genuinely angry. She gave a defeated look that lasted for a split second, but I relished it. And I didn’t even beat her - I only won because she adored Peter.

I've never used my profiles "random question" as it never gives me an appropriate one. Stef's is:

The love potion you made tastes terrible. How will you drink it?

she answers:

As a bitter woman, my bitter potion suits me fine. The question is: how will I get the world to drink it?


I should imagine a lot of people would see her blog as poison. Its always been nectar to me. She has a great new photo up too.

On a completely different tack if you want to know what grass roots Republicans are thinking Rightwingsparkle has this:

Every newspaper in the country should have run Mayor Najim Abdullah Abid Al-Jibouri's tribute to U.S. troops. It's legitimate news— offering detailed updates on Iraq's reconstruction from the perspective of Iraqis. And it's positive news.

The mayor wrote: "Our city was the main base of operations for Abu Mousab Al Zarqawi. Our streets were silent, and no one dared to walk them...Terrorists occupied and controlled the only hospital in the city.

"Their savagery reached such a level that they stuffed the corpses of children with explosives and tossed them into the streets in order to kill grieving parents attempting to retrieve the bodies of their young.

"This was the situation of our city until God prepared and delivered unto them the courageous soldiers of the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment, who liberated this city, ridding it of Zarqawi's followers after harsh fighting, killing many terrorists, and forcing the remaining butchers to flee the city like rats."

...Military families, fed up with conventional reporting, spread this and other positive stories through e-mail and Web sites

...As traditional news outlets consider how to compete with Internet-driven media into the future, they might consider why it is Americans have to turn to blogs and e-mail to learn about what our troops are accomplishing...

Trackback


Our major Swede behind Omegaprojektet quoting various sources linked to on his post has:

The most important question to ask regarding the bombings of the Golden Mosque in Samarra on the 22nd is: who benefits? Prior to asking this question, let us note the timing of the bombing. The last weeks in Iraq have been a PR disaster for the occupiers. First, the negative publicity of the video of British soldiers beating and abusing young Iraqis has generated a backlash for British occupation forces they’ve yet to face in Iraq...

...As quickly as these horrible events began, they were called to an end and replaced by acts of solidarity between Sunni and Shia across Iraq. This, however, was not shown by western corporate media.

...Thousands of Shia marched shouting anti-American slogans through Sadr City, the huge Shia slum area of Baghdad, which is home to nearly half the population of the capital city. Meanwhile, in the primarily Shia city of Kut, south of Baghdad, thousands marched while shouting slogans against America and Israel and burning U.S. and Israeli flags...

Construction Minister Jassem Mohammed Jaafar, who toured Sammara and inspected the damage incurred to the shrine, said the placing of explosives inside the dome was meticulous and must have taken at least 12 hours.

"Holes were dug into the mausoleum's four main pillars and packed with explosives," he told the media, adding that work on each pillar must have taken at least four hours.

This is an astounding statement to make. This means that the perpetrators had free rein for much of the time to carry out their heinous crime.

How did they get access to the shrine in the first place?


also:

MI6 pays out over secret LSD mind control tests. The Secret Intelligence Service, MI6, has paid thousands of pounds in compensation to servicemen who were fed LSD without their consent in clandestine mind-control experiments in the 1950s.

Tequilita is getting smashed:

I spent friday night with a new girlfriend. she's on the rodeo committee and invited me to the rodeo kickoff party. it was terrible. picture the astrodome filled with the same crowd you'd find in an east texas wal-mart, rocky mountain jeans as far as the eye can see. i didn't think anyone still wore those...in pleather too. that was a treat. we had already bought drink tickets and we weren't driving, so there was nothing left to do but get smashed.

I've got lots of other favourite bloggers but this post is getting a bit long. Do click through my links. I'll round up with AngryBlackBitch who is celebrating her birthday (happy birthday bitch!)

Jumping in with the first dose of bitchitude...

It didn’t take those motherfuckers long, did it? South Dakota has passed a piece of shit the size of...well, Montana through their state legislature. The Governor plans to sign it…and ban all abortions in the state with no exceptions for cases of rape or incest. Oh…but they’re willing to be compassionate if a woman’s life is in the balance.

Nice of them, huh?

...There is a part of me that almost wants to see America experience life without choice…again. Mayhap the pain, suffering, botched back alley medical torture and general degradation will bring about some motherfucking sanity...again.

No comments: